The ad for GoldieBlox went live early this week (11/17/13) and in just a few days has gone viral with over 7 million views. It came across my radar thanks to Facebook and my wife, Stephanie, who’s a teacher. Let’s just say, this is the type of girl toy ad I’ve been waiting for and just in time for the holiday season! I look forward to supporting the company. For more info, visit: http://www.goldieblox.com
Credit: GoldieBlox, Rube Goldberg, & Beastie Boys
On this Mother’s Day, when motherhood feels realistically on the horizon and many of my dear friends are about to be or are already amazing mothers, I’d like to honor my mother:
Marsha G. Ross
by sharing with the world what she has taught me thus far.
- How to Love. I have never doubted your love for me. Sure, we’ve had our moments of disagreement that led to hurt feels, yet I’ve always known when the day ends that I am your baby and you love me.
- How to Celebrate Life. Stephanie recently asked me, “What are we celebrating now?” Part of me wanted to get defensive and then I realized that I learned this valuable lesson from you, mom. Whether big or small, there’s always something positive to highlight during the day. A recent example: turning in my final for the business course I’m taking—allowing me to have a complete working business plan for Jillybeads 4 Justice. Oh, and it was FRI-day!!
- The Power of Open & Authentic Communication. This lesson is one of experience and hindsight. I’m positive there are times my mom wasn’t completely upfront with me, yet what I remember most is that she never shared more than she thought I could handle. Although sometimes with too much tough love, I appreciate that I can share just about anything with my mom with little to no embarrassment or shame, which connects back to point #1.
As this special day slips away from memory, I ask you to consider two things:
- What has your mom taught you? And…
- Let’s think of ways to support our moms throughout the year. As Janet Walsh highlights in her article, “Mark Mother’s Day by Reforming Family Leave Laws in US.”
Oh, and maybe one more…love your mom and those who are moms throughout the year…
we wouldn’t be here without them!!
~ One Love ~